Sunday, August 10, 2008

SPIT HAPPENS- My annual trip to the Homer Spit

I love Homer.
I love the ecclectic mix of people. The hippies, the fishermen, the homesteaders, the Russian Orthodox, the greenies, the tourists- they all come together into a friendly little comunity.
I love the drive from Soldotna, all the way to Homer, and especially the part where you descend into the "bowl". I think it's the most beautiful place in the world, so I make sure to go at least once a year.
God was so good to us. It was cloudy and kind of icky in Soldotna, but as soon as we hit South Kasilof, the clouds disappeared and it was gloriously clear and sunny.
This is on the hill, before you descend into Homer, looking at the Spit.

The Homer Countryside

The Boat Harbor
A few of the tourist shops on the Spit

The Salty Dawg


The Roadhouse- a tourist shop


Homer is occupied by many, many talented artists. Their work fills the tourist shops, the galleries, the museums and even the sidewalks are a stage for local art.

1 comment:

Heather Henderson said...

How cool! I should put Homer on my list of places to visit when we evetually get our rear-ends up there!